Contributed by Amy Louwers
You may be wondering – “How on earth am I going to stay clean this weekend as I cheer on my team?!” Clean coach, Amy Louwers, has put together a few suggestions to keep her T30C team from sabotaging all their clean eating efforts! Especially now that they feel so good! That is a dedicated coach! Go Amy!
First of all, don’t throw in the towel at the first party tray or bag of chips you see – you guys are much stronger than that! Remember The 30 Clean 4P’s: plan, purchase, prepare, and put away (in a cooler to take to a tailgate or on your table if you are entertaining friends at home). Here are some recipes that you can PLAN on making:
- Salsa Fresca
- Chicken & Zucchini Poppers
- Best Hummus Ever
- Spicy Zucchini Hummus
- Spicy Roasted Cashews
- Jalapeno Lime Chicken Wings
- Stuffed Rosemary Mushrooms
- Loaded Paleo Nachos
- 20 Minute Chili
- Enchilada Chicken Stew
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Crockpot Pork Carnitas
- Tacos – Or use lettuce leaves for the shells.
- Grass Fed Beef Hamburgers – use Portobello Mushrooms as buns
- Homemade Sausages or ones from Simply Good: Greek Gyro Lamb, Mexican Chorizo, Sweet Italian are all clean and nitrate free
- Cut up fresh veges
- Raw nuts – just be careful to not overindulge
- Kit’s Organic Bars – easily slip into your pocket for emergencies while in the stadium – but remember, you won’t die of hunger in the 3.5 hours it takes for these two teams to play.
- Apples, bacon and almond butter sandwiches
- Two Ingredient Muffins
- Hard Boiled Eggs
Only two glasses of wine or clear alcohol per weekend. I realize this could be a deal breaker, but you have all come so far! Don’t let yourself get caught up in the craziness – there are a lot of clean options – plus…once you get into the stadium (if going to the game) you can’t drink anymore because they don’t sell it!
- Wine – 2 glasses
- Vodka – should be non-gmo potato vodka. Other top vodka choices are those distilled with corn and grapes – neither which contain gluten. Be sure to stay clear of “flavored” vodkas and create your own CLEAN flavors naturally. (See our famous T30C Original Cocktail below!)
- Tequilla – silver only – no golden varieties – they contain caramel coloring.
- Sparkling water with fresh lemons, limes or berries
- Coconut Water
- Kombucha – remember to keep the grams of sugar per serving below 4. Recommended flavors: Gingerade, Cosmic Cranberry, Trilogy, Bilberry, Multi-Green
**since Amy wrote this article, we have also found a new adult beverage that we are very fond of: Boochcraft, a high alcohol kombucha. At 7%, this delicious beverage is refreshing, organic, non-gmo and gluten-free. (“I might be addicted… sigh..” ~ Heather)
The trick to getting through this game is to plan your recipes in advance, prepare your clean food – whether it is from the recipe planning or store bought clean options. What I have given you is only a sampling of thousands of recipes that you can put together that are clean.
Be PREPARED when you go to your event (tailgate or party). Know your story – why you chose to take part in this 30 Day Challenge, bring your own dish to pass, eat a small meal before you go so you will be less apt to snack and most importantly – watch what you drink. Alcohol can be a trigger that leads you to eat unclean foods.
Most importantly – have fun and cheer for your favorite team! Remember, these teams will meet again next year and the year after and so on. You have given your body the gift of clean eating for 30 days…stay strong – WE’VE GOT THIS!